Monday, June 7, 2010

Desta Mender - Daytrip from Addis

From Sara (an IAN mom that traveled in April 2010):

Just thought I would share a very special place that anyone would have time to visit while in Ethiopia. I think it's so important to get out of Addis as the majority of our kids don't come from the city, but the beautiful countryside.

The Hamlin Fistula Hospital has a community on the outskirts of the city where those with chronic, irreparable injuries can live and work. It's called Desta Mender. They have recently opened a restaurant there and all are encouraged to go on Saturdays and Sundays for lunch (and maybe other times, but I'm not sure!). They have really yummy meat pies (like Chicken pot pie) and quiches. All made with the veggies, etc... grown on their farm. The women also make handicrafts and you can buy them there, which make for meaningful souvenirs.

It is GORGEOUS and green farmland where they grow vegetables, have chickens, etc... You eat outside over looking a pond and pasture. It's a GREAT escape out of the pollution of Addis and I'm so glad I took my parents there to see something outside of the city. I just posted one pic of the area you overlook when you eat. A great place for the little ones to run around! And, the women there LOVE to see the kids.

It's really close to the city, and I imagine safe to go to even with the travel limitations of election time this summer.

I hope some of you go to check it out! Just tell your driver to take Ambo Road out of the city. In about 10-15 km, you will see a sign for Desta Mender on the left. You follow this road up and just tell the guards you are eating at 'Juniper Cafe'.

No comments: